I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Don't Wait - Do It Yourself

I love quotes - would have them up all around the room if I could. Wait. I DO! Because I CAN!

Monday, I signed up to get notifications when George Couros posts something new. As fate would have it, his first post of the year was to share inspirational quotes for 2017! This one from Pharrell Williams struck my fancy...
Created with http://recitethis.com/
When my husband and I were emailing each other (he lived in Detroit suburbs, me in Chicago suburbs), he'd often end his letters with a P.S. ... "If the stars ever line up, you're the one for me!" (Then he'd add the sparkling star emojis - too cute!) Was it too much to dream? Oh, it was a dream of ours, but it seemed so very far out of reach! It seemed impossible that we'd ever have a life together.

Well, guess what? We MADE those stars align. We reached for them, and rearranged them the way we wanted. One. Step. At. A. Time.

And this is the key. Whatever you're dreaming of, it may seem way too overwhelming. Too many things need to be done in order to ever contemplate really making it work!

It's NOT too big.
It's NOT too big - IF... If you take it one. Step. At. A. Time.

So... make the list. Oh, it's a mighty list, for sure! Then begin checking things off that list. What can you do TODAY to help make your dream come true? Tomorrow, do the same thing. Focus on what you CAN do, not what seems impossible. You'll keep adding to the list - even as you check things off. Focus on what you can do today.

And when you hear yourself complaining about how someone else is doing things, remember Sebastian's lesson...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!